THE OCEAN LITERACY EVENT WITH A PURPOSE - Many well known pageants do not have a specific goal as the reason for their being.
Miss Ocean, as the name implies, is aimed at looking after our oceans. We are not the first "ocean" contest with those general aims, but we are the first contest to support the research necessary for the proposed ocean cleaning ships called SeaVax and research into zero carbon marine transport. We are also the first "ocean" event to work with men and women by pitching Mister Ocean against Miss Ocean to find our ocean ambassadors.
SeaVax boats can filter plastic waste from seawater. In sufficient numbers Seavax machines could make significant inroads into cleaning up the 5 enormous garbage gyres in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans - and might prevent a 6th forming in the Arctic Ocean. We both recognize and applaud the work of other pageants around the world looking to draw attention to ocean pollution and climate change, some of which are featured on this website for reference purposes.
The event is being organised by Cleaner Oceans Club Ltd, a not for profit company registered in the UK as company number: 4674774.
The final rules for the Miss and Mister Ocean events will be published on this page before January 2019. Meantime, we have drafted answers to some frequently asked questions and tips for interested persons trying to decide if the contest is for them. Please see the links at the foot of this page.
1. The first and golden rule is that you must be able to swim at least 100 meters competently ........ If you can climb out the pool after two lengths - you qualify. More than that qualifies for bonus points. The reason for this is that an ocean ambassador is almost sure to want to interact with the marine environment. It's a safety requirement.
2. The second rule is that you must want to use the gift of communication that nature has given you to help us make a difference ..... For at least 12 months.
3. The third rule is that you should be confident enough to be able to complete a 12 month tour of duty. Just entering this competition tells us that you have ocean ambitions.
4. You must be between 18 and 60 or otherwise be in good health. Your marital and maternal status is immaterial for the Miss and Mister Ocean events provided that your private life would not hamper UK tours.
5. The winner of 'Miss Ocean' will compete against the winner of Mister Ocean to find our Ocean Champion. In the event of a tie, there may be a sudden death eliminator, or if televised at any time in future events, the public might decide via online voting.
The remaining rules are pretty much standard and based on those in the sporting event worlds.
CONTEST SCHEDULE 2018-19
Once we announce that our contest is supported, entries will be accepted between October and November 2018 for 2019, though you can express your interest in yourself or your club, or other organization taking part at any time - and this will help us to plan ahead.
Initial panel interviews will be conducted and filmed at a location in Sussex TBA.
EVENTS MANAGERS - We are always on the lookout for event and tour staff to help us stage the Miss and Mister Ocean events and UK tours, aiming for a pilot in 2018 and a UK tour in 2019. If you would like to get involved with this attraction, as part of the 3D tour, or become a partner or supporter, please get in touch.
The 2018 competition is open to all nations (subject to eligibility terms and conditions), but is more likely to attract contestants from the United Kingdom and Europe. This is because 2018 is the first year of the competition in this format and for this reason the contest will be relatively unknown. We do though, encourage applicants from all over the world - because this will help us to spread the message that we must do something about the state of our oceans.
It is likely that the contest will eventually be broadcast on television on a network TBA. Entrants should be prepared to appear both recorded and live on television and youtube. There are a number of independent makers of films about the oceans, lately the subject of world tours.
CONTEST FORMAT - The contest format is at present being developed to return associates and partners the best PR returns. We are open to suggestion/negotiation until December of 2017. The making of Miss Ocean is an obvious candidate for inclusion in the 2018 editions of such programmes.
Unlike other beauty contests, there is a water sport section (Aquatic Skills) that carries 20% of the marks to encourage participation - and will almost certainly mean getting into a boat, the sea or a swimming pool.
THE POINTS SCORING SYSTEM - Judging has to be carried out in a fair and unbiased manner. Awarding points in relation to the objects of the contest is the way that we have chosen to compare one contestant to another. We recognize that each contestant is already a special person. But our objective is to find the most suitable candidate for the Title: Miss Ocean, who will be our "Ocean Queen" for 12 months.
On this subject, spare a thought for the judges. Judging is not easy. Apart from votes from the general public, the final say will be from the judges themselves, especially in the event of a tie.
PRIZES & SCHOLARSHIP FUND
The winner of Miss Ocean will receive a cash prize and expenses for 12 months. The 2nd and 3rd place runners up will receive scholarship contributions and certificates. Certificates will be awarded for sporting events and finally for Miss Congeniality.
Click on the links above for answers to most of your questions.